Voices for America’s Children is the nation’s largest network of multi-issue child advocacy organizations. Our nonprofit, nonpartisan network spans almost every state, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. We lead advocacy efforts at the community, state and federal levels to improve the lives of all children, especially those most vulnerable, and their families.
Delivering Policy Wins for Children
When government makes the right decisions, the resulting policies deliver wins for children and their families all over America. Those wins are measured not one child at a time, but one thousand, ten thousand, one hundred thousand, one million, ten million.
Big wins like these don’t happen by accident. Big wins happen for kids because of changes in government policy. Voices for America’s Children’s (Voices) nonpartisan advocacy in Washington, DC and across the nation helps deliver those wins. Voices has been on the forefront of every major child policy victory for the past quarter-century. Our nationwide network speaks up for kids and puts children on government’s agenda.
Focus on Six Policy Goals to Advance Our Vision and Agenda
- Equity and Diversity: All children achieve their full potential in a society that closes opportunity gaps and recognizes and values diversity. This goal also informs the work of all other core goals.
- Health: All children receive affordable, comprehensive, high-quality health care.
- School Readiness: All children and their parents receive the services and supports to enable them to start school prepared for success.
- School Success: All children have an equal opportunity to attend an adequately and equitably financed public school meeting rigorous academic standards aligned with the needs of the 21st century workforce.
- Safety: All children are safe in their homes and communities from all forms of abuse, neglect, exploitation, violence and risky behaviors; and contribute to community well-being.
- Economic Stability: All children live in families that can provide for their needs and make investments in their future.
Over the past quarter-century the Voices nationwide network:
- Played a critical role in ensuring that millions of children and their families will have access to health care through the national health care reform bill and the Children’s Health Insurance Program.
- Fought to ensure that children, especially those most vulnerable, start school ready to learn.
- Helped to secure billions of additional dollars for children’s programs such as Head Start and child care through legislation like the 2009 economic stimulus package.
- Helped to ensure millions of meals for needy children and families through nutrition program legislation.
- Provided brighter futures for thousands of children by helping to secure passage of the Fostering Connections Act, landmark legislation that addresses gaps in the child welfare system.